Monday, March 13, 2006

Spring Breakdown???

My sister and I are on our way to Phoenix. I am moving there, she is joining me for the ride.

Our plan was to stop at our great aunt's on the way down. She lives in the Denver area and that is almost halfway to Phoenix. We left Des Moines on Saturday, arrived in Denver that night and stayed the day yesterday. We have a friend that goes to school at a school in Denver. I didn't want to leave my car in a parking lot seeing as it has nearly all of my belongings in it. So, I went and picked her up and brought her to my aunt's house. When I took her back it was snowing pretty heavy.

I was driving cautiously, but I lost control of my car and hit the curb. I got out and looked but saw no apparent damage. I know that you can do some pretty good damage to a car by running into a curb. But, my car seemed fine.

This morning I thought I should take another look just in case. It was then that I noticed that my hubcap was broken (it is some sort of plastic) and my tire rim seemed bent. I was not sure if it was just the hubcap being broken that made the wheel look bent. So I asked my uncle to look at it. We both agreed that it would be a good idea to at least have it looked at.

Megan and I sat at the shop for about three hours before the service guy came out and told me that there was much more damage done to my car that could be seen from the outside. In fact, the suspension was messed up. I say messed up because I don't know if a suspension gets broken, or out of alignment. But, to put it simply, my car needed $1,600 of parts and service...To be safe. My car was unsafe to drive.

Praise the Lord that they had all the parts they needed to fix it and I have parents who love me enough to help me out. But, our trip has been delayed. I have learned some small lessons in this. Included in this is the reminder that money comes and goes. God is in control, even if I don't know exactly what is going on.

We will be setting off for Phoenix tomorrow, Lord willing.

No comments: