Friday, January 20, 2006

It is a BEAUTIFUL DAY! It snowed today for the first time this winter. There is something about snow in a new place that makes snow seem new all over again. Something also makes me feel at home. I will miss snow. I talk about being excited about leaving Iowa for the warmth of Phoenix, but I really do like snow. Sure it is wet and cold and it looks really gross when it gets dirty, but I am not sure if any picture is as pretty to me as one of fresh snow.

I have been in Japan for a month now. I have one month left. I am really starting to enjoy it. The students are back at school and the ministry is back in full swing. Thursday I went to English lunch table, at one of the universities. They should call it Japanese and some English table, but that is besides the point. We met up with some of the regular students, and Tomo had invited a couple of his friends. One is a nursing student. It was really fun to get to talk to her. I was able to learn the Japanese word for nurse and hospital. "Watashiwa kongoshi das." I am a nurse. That is pretty cool.

Friday nights are the regular meeting time for BEST club discussion. Typically there is a meal, a game and a discussion topic. Last night I taught four on a couch to Japanese students, but instead of changing names, everyone had an American slang phrase as their name. Wow, that was really funny. Just hear it, "sweet," "dude," and "sick me out" all in a Japanese accent. HILARIOUS!

The students are so fun. I have not tried to fit into their culture at all. I hope that I don't offend them too much. Last night Joanna had payback for a joke I played on her. To make a long story short I asked a Japanese guy to marry me, in Japanese. Oh well, he just laughed and said that he couldn't. Most of the people that come to best club are guys. I hang out with 20 year old guys. Oh man. At least I don't have to grow up. :)

1 comment:

JessS said...

so yesterday i got a text message from Alex that said:

"holy snow storm, batman, are you guys getting this much snow there too?"

and i thought "holy" said "holly" and that the text message was from you, so i was really confused because you're in japan and couldn't possibly be getting the same snow there as we got here. but i guess you did. I <3 the Jet Stream