Sunday, June 11, 2006

Give us a King: Reflections on 1 Samuel

Chapter 8, verses 4-9:

"Finally, the leaders of Israel met at Ramah to discuss the matter with Samuel. 'Look," the told him, 'you are now old, and your sons are not like you. Give us a king like all the other nations have.'
Samuel was very upset with their request and went to the Lord for advice. 'Do as they say,' the Lord replied, 'for it is me they are rejecting not you. They don't want me to be their king any longer. Ever since I brought them from Egypt they have continually forsaken me and followed other gods. And now they are giving you the same treatment. Do as they ask, but solemnly warn them about how a king will treat them.'"

There is something about this that I just cannot seem to get my mind around. I feel like there is so much to be learned from this that I can't seem to forget about it. That is a good thing of course because I don't want to forget about God's word, but I would like to learn some conclusive things about this.

I keep thinking of how this is applied/reflective of in my life:

-What blessings am I missing and not praising God for? a.k.a. What is my rescue from Egypt?
-Is there a "king" that I am asking for? Something that looks good on the outside, seems so normal, but really is not good for me?
-What warnings am I not hearing about these "kings"?
-How does the Lord remain my king?
-How do I become content in my rescue from Egypt?

I think I need to meditate on this stuff for a few days. Could be good. Thought I would share my thought process. Maybe ask me about it later.

1 comment:

Kelli B said...

Holly - I think you hit on a HUGE issue. Something in your words made me think of a lot of people who could use the encouragement from this passage, and they could use the challenge of your questions...and hey - I'm one of them!

Thanks for posting this - i'm thinking upon it with ya.