Sunday, February 12, 2006

Thank you to Natsumi for yet another great day on the town!

Natsumi has been so kind as to take me on not one, but two sight seeing trips in Tokyo. Yesterday's adventure was quite interesting and enjoy able.
We had planned to meet in Shinjuku station at 2pm. I was not quite sure how long it would take me to get there and needed to run an errand before meeting her as well. To make a long story short, I was about a half an hour early. This was ok because I wanted some time to make sure I was in the spot she had planned for us, there were some stores to walk around and I had my iPod and was enjoying a message from my home church service.
It is a fact generally accepted that when one has their headphones on you don't talk to anyone. HOWEVER, this must not be taught in Africa. As I was waiting for my dear tour guide friend, I was approached by an African guy. Leave it to me to GET HIT ON BY AN AFRICAN GUY IN JAPAN. Wow. Seriously. Like I need another person asking me why I'm not married. But if you want to go dancing or have dinner with an African guy in Tokyo, I can hook you up with a number.
Natsumi and her friend Yukari arrived after my little adventure with the African guy. Our plan was to go to one of the bigger Buddhist shrines in Tokyo. I felt like if I didn't go to one, that I really wouldn't understand Japan. I'm glad I went but I was not quite prepared for the emotion that hit me.
It was nothing like I expected. I thought it would be peaceful and quiet. It is quite the opposite. There are tons of people, tons of shops, yes shops, and I just had an uneasy feeling as I walked through. Before you enter the actual shrine there is a incense thing that you can put smoke on your head to make you smarter. Then you are supposed to wash your hands before you go in.
Inside the Shrine is quite ornate. There are paintings on the ceiling and gold things. Unfortunately none of my pictures came out great. People then throw some money into these huge box things in front of the "shrine." Apparently in this thing there is a small image of Buddha. After they throw their money they pray.
It was so sad to me in a way that I am not sure how to explain. It just seemed like a lot of ritual, and no true god. Politely declining not participate in the rituals did open up some conversation later however.
Shrine Gate

Shrine Entrance

As we left, there was a booth where some people were teaching how to make origami cranes. Yukari, Natsumi and I made the traditional crane and another fancy celebration crane. The picture below is our first attempt. If you see the very colorful thing above Yukari's head, that is a huge thing of all cranes. Kinda cool huh? I kept thinking that they were going to ask for some money. They never did. And they gave us tea. I guess it is "Welcome to Japan" time or something. Good enough for me. It was way fun.

Yukari, Natsumi, and Me

After crane time, we walked around some. There are lots of shops and things. It was fun for me just to look around. There was a monkey. No joke. I don't have a picture to prove it because it cost 5 bucks to take a picture with the monkey. Some people have trained this monkey to be call, dress it up and charge people money to take pictures with it. I do mean WITH it too. There is no way I would hold that monkey. I already look like an idiot in this country. I most definitely do not need the help of a monkey.

Kinda like Hollywood Stars, but I don't know these people.

We ended the evening with diner. Big surprise right? Boy I like Japanese food.

1 comment:

Angie said...

um hello where have you been?? and also i really like that last picture. and also hurry up and come home. and also all i want to do is sneak onto the baggage claim conveyor belt in the airport with a luggage tag in my mouth that says "HOLLY BARTLETT"

it would be a pink luggage tag