Wednesday, February 01, 2006



Moving Attitudes

A week and a half ago I moved. Yes, I have lived in Japan for less than two months and I moved. Before I was living in the R household with Joanna. Then the R clan returned. Then Mary was on her way. Soon there was no room for me at the R house.

It was decided that I would move over to the H house. This was a big change. Before while I was at the R house I felt like I was living with Joanna in a house in Japan. Five days a week I got up and "went to work." When work was done it was time to go home.

This was very good for Joanna and my relationship, but it led to an attitude of worker/boss with the H's. This is not a bad thing, but not my favorite way to relate to people.

Since living with the H's I have been able to get to know them better. Even tonight, I went upstairs to wash my face and get ready for bed and talked to Mamma H for probably an hour. We get to relate. I understand them better. Heck, they have seen me with my bed head and PJ's on. Lil J will want to come into my room and hang out with me. I get to greet Big J when he comes home from school.

I love this family. Living with them has taught me so many things. I like the house to be clean. Yes, Mom, did you read that? I like the house to be clean. I do like to be able to have a few messy spots, but I like it clean. The house is easier to clean when you clean often, at least weekly. Laundry never ends. Babies talk and it is beautiful. Children still love their parents after they are spanked. I will never completely understand "two year old" language. It is easier for moms to love their children when they love Jesus first. Kids don't care if you spent an hour or 15 mintues on lunch. Dance party is a fun way for everyone to get some exercise. A four year old might be listening more when he is not looking at you. Kids remember what you promised them, especially when it comes to DVDs! Sometimes you need to walk away, and that is ok, just walk away....I know there is more. I will have to add more when I think about it.

P.S. The pictures are of my room. So simple. Why do I think I need so much stuff in America?

3 comments:

Angie said...

your room is so simple and pretty! i love it. if it was practical i would send you one thing that is bright red. perhaps a pillow. perhaps i will even though it's a silly thing to mail. pretend you're surprised.

JessS said...

clearly i cant post a picture, because what if eli reads your blog or mine. but you can go to the jcrew wedding website and browse, because you'll probably be able to tell which one it is. dont tell eli

Anonymous said...

Oh, Holly, you are growing up! Now you know why I always wanted you to pick up after yourself!