Tuesday, August 22, 2006

OC

This weekend I went to visit some friends in Orange County, technically, Irvine, California. Here are the people I was visiting. I feel like it is easier to list them and explain how I know them.

Ty-Ty is a Japanese guy that I meet in Japan through BEST club. He was there visiting his good friend...
Eddie-Eddie was a Navigator short term worker in Japan for two years. He was part of the team I worked with while I was there. He is from Irvine and thus we were hanging out with him and his great friends.
Kyle-Kyle was also a short term worker in Japan. He was on another campus, but I met him on a retreat. He is in the process of visiting some friends before he starts his job in DC.

So, it was the perfect time for me to come visit. I got to see 3 guys for the price of one. :). In addition to those guys, I was able to meet a friend of Ty's and a few of the ladies that were in Japan this summer and spent some quality time with my good friend Joanna. That was really, really great. Being with them, in some strange way, made me feel like I was getting to spend time with her. Is that strange?

I was planning on driving with a friend, but at the last minute he decided that he was not able to come. Which is fine. But then I was thinking, I really don't want to drive that far by myself. Maybe I should fly. And I did. I bought a plane ticket and flew. Isn't that crazy? The best part is that I don't think I spent much more than I would have spent driving. And I didn't have to drive.

When I was in the airport I realized how interesting airports are. There are so many people from so many different places. It is really cool actually. Also, the fact that people start out in a central location (the airport) and just by stepping onto different planes, end up all around the world. That is so fascinating to me. The fact that we can ride on an airplane is crazy too. God has made some pretty amazing minds to come up with the stuff that now seems so normal to us.

I had a really great time. It was so fun to spend time with those friends and the other people that I met there. I really felt a sense of community. I realized that is what I feel like I am missing. I feel like this group of friends is really living out the Hebrews verse to "spur one another on toward love and good deeds." I had real conversations with people and was encourage in my walk with Christ and challenged in good ways. More than friends, that is what I really miss about college, the people that were my support system, the people that encouraged me daily to run hard after Jesus.

Over all it was a really great weekend, had some good times and excellent company.

P.S. on the flight home I thought I was going to die. There was a big storm and it seemed like the lightning was going to take us out. And, I sat next to a Christian guy from India. India is 3% isn't it nuts that this guy is a Christian? Sweet, Huh.

3 comments:

Roster said...

I thought the same thing about the names. Because Ty-Ty worked as a name... Kyle-Kyle is when I realized that probably wasn't right. I know what you mean about missing that daily supprt system. It's hard living away from the people you say every day for 4 years.

Anonymous said...

I didn't get it until just now when I read your comments...I thought you were trying to be funny.

Joanna Kay said...

Oh Hollsberry, I am so thankful that you got to meet up those peeps. It's hard for me to share when I so desperatly want to be with them and with you... but I am so glad you got to be encouraged and got to have some good fun. I'm sure you encouraged them which rocks. Isn't it cragee how small this world is? I think so. Cragee! Too bad our America trip takes us a thousand miles away from you or I would love to cruise around AZ with you.
*rollin' in my 5.0, with my ragtop down so my hair can blow. The girlies on standby waiting just to say hi.. did you stop? NO! I just drove by. Pursuing on to the next stop I busted a left and I'm heading to the next block, that block was dead- Yo so I continued to A1A Beachfront Avenue!!!*

yaaa, you know what I'm talkin' about.
Love you, miss you, wish i could have a dance party with YOU as the theme. ACtually that sounds good... next time we meet let's have a themed dance party. (like a Rachel themed dance party, complete with DQ ice cream and cutting our hair for the first time... we were soooo good for Rachie.) tee hee hee!!