Saturday, December 24, 2005

To my Grandpa, and other people that would like to know the answers to his Questions!

How do I post comments?

Click on comments. If you are not a member, click on "Other" under choose an identity. Please type your name. Type away your comment. :)

What is the deal with Japanese houses not having central heat?

I think it has something to do with high cost of living. It must be cheaper in the long run to only heat a room at a time. Most people only heat the room that they are in and don't even run the heater at night. I'm learning to deal with it.

What does the title or your blog mean?

Philemon 6 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible. It says, "I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith so that you will have a full understanding of everything good thing we have in Christ Jesus." It is kind of a life verse for me. I have found it to be quite true. The more I share my faith, the more I get excited about it and the more real it seems. The title serves as a reminder and an encouragement to me and hopefully others.

Also, I'm interested in your flight -- Did you just stare out the window, daydream, watch movies, read... Anybody interesting on the plane? Strange persons on the plane?

My flight was rather uneventful. I was in an isle seat. That is a good thing for me. I get rather fidgity and want to get up and move around. Plus, I have a small bladder. On the short flight I spent most of the time talking to Michael, the guy I was sitting next too. He is from Austria. He owns a bakery in Des Moines, which he closes every winter for about 4 months to go home and work at a ski resort where he serves wine and such.
The transition in the airport was quick. By the time I arrived to my gate, they were already boarding, so I hopped right on. I didn't even have time to stop at the bathroom.
On the next flight I sat next to a man from the Czech Republic. He is going to Japan for a year to write his thesis, something about economics in Japan in the 1940's to 1950's. Interesting, but not interesting enough for me to inquire of all the details. I spent most of the time reading. I finished the book I was reading, What a Girl Wants by Kristin Billerbeck. It was quite enjoyable.
I then took a bus for 2 hours to the Tama Center. I slept most of that ride.

What are your initial impressions of Japan? Being a nanny?

I like Japan so far. What I have seen is very interesting, aesthetically at least. The architecture is unique. The time I have spent with Japanese people is limited, but from my experiences so far they are very nice and helpful. Joanna and I had several people talk with us while we were in Starbucks. They were trying to help her learn Japanese and curious about our stay. The family that we ate diner with last night was very nice and hospital's. The culture is very giving, but there is also a sense of indebtedness. It is a gift oriented culture.
I have only been a nanny one day. The family was gracious enough to give me time to adjust. It is great so far. I feel like I am learning to be a mom. They are very thankful for what I am doing. It is great to be able to help them out and me being here allows them to be better parents. If I take care of the things that need to get done, they have more energy and time to do the things they want to do with their children. The mom is very organized and I hope the rubs off on me some.

I'm particularly curious about Japanese culture... television... etc. As time allows, I hope you can share your impressions, commentary, views, etc...

I have shared some about the culture. It seems to be very family oriented. They work a lot though. I have not watched an television yet. If I did, I am sure I would not be able to understand it. ;) I will comment more on this later as ideas and thoughts develop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holly, thanks for the informmation about the flight, posting comments, and your inital seemingly comfortably encounter with Japanese culture. Also the photos are much appreciated. As time goes by I'm very curious about what the Japanese think of Americans, in general, as well as the obvious concerns United States foreign policy, the "great" George W. Bush, etc. Another interest involves the "Americanization" of Japan????