Thursday, December 29, 2005

Karuizawa, Missionaries to Japan, American Food

Joanna and I just got back from a trip to Karuizawa. Karuizawa is a small town in the mountians west of Tokyo. The trip was great.

The group that went consisted mostly of midtermers. A midtermer is someone like Joanna, here for 1-3 years. Stephen and I were both exceptions. He is a missionary kid, born in Japan, but technically from South Africa.

The trip was a blessing beyond what I could imagine. Most of the people were ending their term and were happy to have the time away from the busy student ministry life. They planned American snacks and a traditional Christmas meal. I am sure they appriciated the American good more than I did!

It was good to be surrounded by people that have given their hearts and years of their lives to Japan. I tried to take in everything they said, and I pray that the Lord would continue to use that time.

Plus the trip was fun. Way fun. Joanna and I are both such extroverted people. We ate, we danced, we laughed, we played games. I feel kinda like a slacker because I have only technically "worked" one day in Japan. It was Mamma H's idea for me to go on this retreat. At first I was concerned about how much money it was going to cost. It was not an expense I had planned on. Totally worth it though.

I will post some pictures later. :)

1 comment:

Kelli B said...

Definately post some pics! Sounds like you are a blessing to have over in Japan with Joanna...im glad you both get this experience, and glad for you to experience this season of ministry in Japan.

Gosh I want to be there!!! Soak it all up for me, Holly! :)